Just Write! Writing Club
Do you find it hard to get into the habit of writing your PhD thesis? Perhaps you find writing a lonely experience? The University Graduate College’s Just Write! sessions can help.
How does it work?
- A room is booked in the Hadyn Ellis Building or Heath Park Graduate Centre, and free tea/coffee is available.
- You arrive with your laptop, notes and whatever you need to write.
- You have a drink, introduce yourself to others and chat for 10 minutes.
- Then the first countdown begins. Everyone writes in silence for 30 minutes. The idea is that seeing and hearing others write encourages you to write.
- The timer ends. You have 10 minutes to get some more coffee, chat, and then the countdown for another 30 minutes begins.
- The timer ends. You feel good that you’ve made progress and you finish by exchanging cheery banter!
These writing sessions have been found to be really useful in helping postgraduate students overcome procrastination and develop self-discipline in writing. You also get to meet other postgraduate research students who are going through what you are experiencing.
Just Write! sessions will initially take place once every month as we are piloting these sessions. Please note that you must bring your own laptop to these sessions.
A list of all upcoming dates, times and locations can be found on our booking system.