CALL FOR PAPERS for Transitions Conference
Friday 16th November – Cardiff University Graduate Centre
The Transition conference aims to showcase the huge variety of disciplines and approaches utilised by post-graduate researchers working in the humanities and social sciences within Cardiff University, and promote exchange and collaboration across different schools and departments. In particular, we wish to build upon the inter-disciplinary environment that exists within the school of European Languages, Translation and Politics by reaching out to other schools with shared interests or methods.
We invite submissions for papers or presentations dealing with the topic of transition, be that political or technological change, the evolution of minority languages, or new forms of cultural or linguistic expression.
We hope the event will appeal to students wanting to gain experience and confidence by presenting their research in a supportive environment. The conference aims to provide a platform to reflect on the work of the previous academic year, or plans for future research, and to welcome a new cohort of students.
Suggested topics include but are not limited to:
· The EU and international relations: the Euro crisis, enlargement, the Arab Spring
· Journalism and new media
· Languages and translation: translation and adaptation as forms of transition
· Economics and recessionary politics: the credit crisis, banking reform
· Political theory: transition in political systems, the changing meaning of citizenship and identity
· Devolution: policy differences, constitutional change, re-territorialisation.
· Cultures: memories of transition (historical or political events), personal transitions in culture, cultural agency in political change
Please send abstracts of not more than 300 words by 29 October 2012 to the following email address: Taylorh16@cardiff.ac.uk
We aim for presentations to run for 20-35 minutes each, and welcome submissions from both PhD and Masters’ students.