The Section was established to provide an efficient and effective professional purchasing service, which reduces overall costs and adds value to the process of acquiring goods and services to satisfy the University's requirements.
Additionally, the following services are offered:
- Provide advice and assistance with all purchasing matters, including terms and conditions of trade (commercial and legal aspects), procurement legislation (UK and EU, University financial regulations, and marketplace trends and conditions.
- Identify reliable and competitive sources of supply for good and services; assess competing specifications/quality and prices; and advise on 'best value for money' and 'whole life costs'.
- Monitor and encourage 'best practice' in purchasing throughout the University.
- Carry out Vendor Appraisal and contract Performance Measurement exercises in conjuction with departmental user groups.
- Manage Purchasing Contracts and Agreements to ensure effective performance.
- Maintain a contact network to help good communications on procurement issues.
- Play a key role in the activities and development of the Higher Education Purchasing Consortium Wales (HEPCW), and other joint ventures.
- Provide a valuation service for secondhand equipment and advise on best disposal procedures.
- Ensure the highest standards of professional competence in the Purchasing Section through a culture of Training and Quality Assurance.
- Providing additional 'one-off' services for University staff.
Cardiff University, Purchasing Section
30-36 Newport Road
The Purchasing Section is part of the Finance Division