Prof Anthony Campbell - MA PhD
Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 74151
Fax:+44 (0)29 208 74149
Professor Campbell is a member of staff in the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science.
He has brought to the School of Pharmacy a world class research record and expertise in chemi- and bio-luminescence.
He has recently proposed a revolutionary mechanism: ‘The bacterial metabolic toxin hypothesis’, which provides a new mechanism to explain some of the most common disorders seen by GPs, including irritable gut syndrome, lactose and food intolerance, diabetes and some cancers.
He is a member of the School's Pharmacology & Physiology Research Discipline
His current areas of interest include:
- Calcium signalling and the measurement of free calcium in live cells, particularly bacteria
- Lactose and food intolerance, with other gut disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease
- Bioluminescence and its evolutionary origin
- Charles and Erasmus Darwin
- Public engagement of science