Frequently asked questions
- Who is this course for?
- I don’t live in the UK. Can I take this course?
- What are the entry requirements for the Diploma?
- Will I get a Diploma at the end of the course?
- When I enrol on this course am I automatically registered for the examination?
- Am I eligible for a reduced fee?
- Can I pay the course fee in another currency instead of GB Pounds?
- Do I have to enrol on the first module?
- Should I do both modules?
- How will I study?
- Is the course accredited?
- Will the 30 credits of this course count towards my degree? What if I am a student in a non-UK University?
- What equipment will I need?
- What can I do if my question has not been answered by the F.A.Q.?
This High-Level Translation Course is for you if:
- English is your mother-tongue language
- you wish to obtain the Institute of Linguists’ Diploma in Translation
- you want to maintain your good language skills but don’t have the opportunity in your everyday life
- your translation skills are of a good standard but you know you need to work on your annotations
- you’ve recently graduated in French or Spanish and want to further develop your technique of translation
- you want to brush up your translation skills, perhaps after a career break, but you can’t go to a local evening class.
Yes. Every year we have students from the USA, Canada, Australia and Continental Europe.
To take the Diploma in Translation, the Institute specifies that candidates should have a level of linguistic competence at least equivalent to a good Honours Degree in French or Spanish. Candidates’ native language is usually English.
Not from us. This course prepares students for the Diploma in Translation but cannot guarantee that candidates will be successful.
No. You will need to contact the Chartered Institute of Linguists between 1 May and 31 July in the year preceding the January examinations. Please visit their website: www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp
No. If you pay by credit card, then your card will convert your currency to GB Pounds for you. If you pay by cheque, though, make sure that it is in GB Pounds.
For French we ask you to complete a 200-250 word explanation of your reasons for wishing to do the course. For Spanish please complete one of the self tests to be found under the appropriate course and send to email@example.com.
If you are an experienced translator, it is likely that Module 1 will not be essential for you. Conversely, if you have little experience of translation or haven’t practiced for a few years then we would recommend that you enrol on the first and the second modules.
This distance learning course is entirely based on the Internet. Course materials are accessed via our on-line learning platform, Blackboard. Communication is supported by email throughout the course.
Both modules are organised around series of tasks and texts to translate and for each of them students are provided with a clear outline of what is required. They then receive personalised feedback from their personal tutor.
Is the course accredited?
Yes, each module is at undergraduate level two, and successful students are awarded 30 credits by the end of it. Each course is assessed by four pieces of translation done during the course. At the end of the course, you will receive an overall percentage from your tutor, which however will be provisional until your assignments go through an Internal Moderator and the Centre’s Examination Board. Only then will your credits be awarded.
Will the 30 credits of this course count towards my degree? What if I am a student in a non-UK University?
The credits of this course can be used towards a qualification at any other Higher Education institution and/or Higher Education Lifelong Learning institution in the UK (the final say, however, rests with your home institution). When it comes to Universities or other Higher Education Institutions abroad, then it would depend on each institution’s policy.
PC connected to the Internet.
If your question is not addressed here you can e-mail directly the course tutor at firstname.lastname@example.org