PhD and MPhil Research
The School offers opportunities for full-time and part-time study leading to the degrees of PhD and MPhil.
Supervision is available across a wide range of research topics in journalism, media and cultural studies. Applicants are encouraged to visit the school's research pages for more detailed information on research groups and staff research interests. The School always offers a number of research students financial support each year, providing outstanding applicants with reduced tuition fees and offering paid teaching opportunities.
Along with an extensive Research Programme, students enrolled at the School benefit from:
- a primary supervisor, responsible for guiding you through your programme of study;
- a co-supervisor and a third panel member where appropriate, who will monitor and provide feedback on student progress, quality of written work and supervision;
- taught cultural theory and research methods training ;
- a dedicated PhD common room containing computing facilities, secure lockers, printing and photocopying facilities;
- access to weekly research seminars;
- seminars to guide and mentor both staff and students on research activity, publication, and grant applications;
- meetings of research groups and sessions designed to bring research interests together around particular research themes;
- admission to the University Graduate Centre facilities, training courses and social activities;
- training in teaching and lecturing;
- regular MPhil/PhD conferences, where research students present their work to colleagues;
- financial support for attendance at conferences.
A BA degree (upper second class or above) or an MA degree in a relevant subject, awarded by a recognised university or equivalent.
Please note that candidates whose first language is not English will normally be expected to obtain a minimum IELTS score of 7.5.
The University's Graduate College offers many training benefits for postgraduate students and encourage interdisciplinary research.
Prospective students can find further advice on funding their studies from the Cardiff University website's Postgraduate section.