MA International Public Relations and Global Communications Management
The annual away-day at Atlantic College
This unique one year course, accredited by the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, offers a mix of practice and theory, techniques and advanced academic study, with an international perspective.
It aims to promote an awareness of the roles of public relations in the contemporary world, at whatever level, or in whatever context it is practised.
Who should apply?
This course is designed for four groups of students:
- Experienced public relations practitioners looking to reflect on their career to date and develop new ways of looking at communication issues on a global scale;
- Would-be public relations practitioners interested in understanding more about the world of international public relations;
- Graduates looking to deepen their understanding of public relations in the practical, social, political and business sense;
- Students looking to undertake PhD study in the field of international public relations.
Principal Aims of the Course
The overall aim of the course is to help students better understand the international public relations industry, which has grown dramatically in the past 20 years, with profound implications for the media, business, governments, pressure groups, consumers and other public institutions. Our aims are to:
- Explore the dynamic rise and development of public relations and highlight its inextricable link with international marketing, global media power and new technology;
- Provide insights from media and public relations standpoint, so that students are able to operate at the level demanded in today’s global information age;
- Teach students the key theories of public relations scholarship pertinent to modern-day public relations practice;
- Provide students with the skills and techniques essential to work in the public relations profession at an international level;
- Equip students with the research skills necessary to carry out media and business research;
- Enhance students’ professional skill and knowledge base;
- Increase ability to undertake rigorous analytical work, ensuring students are capable of producing well-researched essays, assignments and dissertations to deadline.
"The course was the only leading 'international' public relations course in all of Europe and it is taught by a great faculty with industry experience. Having done my undergraduate [degree] in Cardiff, I was already aware of the brilliance of the university and the level of interest the faculty has in students doing well."
Pooja Jagpal - International Public Relations, 2009/10
"I chose Cardiff because the university has a great appeal to it. It was the best choice for my course and is also a recognised university both in the UK and internationally.
"I loved the practical elements, which included the skills needed for jobs after the course; I felt these were most beneficial to me."
Manjit Kaur - International Public Relations, 2008/09
"I found the MA International Public Relations course to be a thoroughly exciting learning experience. The tutors are world class professionals and tuition is highly practical and very relevant to the PR profession; the pitches and case studies were real issues of the day and very relevant globally."
Effie Ansah - International Public Relations, 2007/08
Further course information
For further information regarding course content please contact the Course Director and for general enquiries contact the MA Administrative Assistant.