Connecting to the University network
- Help and advice
- Regulations and acceptable use
- Connection options
- Requests or enquiries for new network outlets or network outlet moves
To use the networked IT services at Cardiff University you must first register and obtain a username and password.
- Taught students are normally registered in class groups by their school or department
- Staff or research students should approach their Local Computing Representative (LCR)
- Holders of honorary contracts, pre-registration house officers and postgraduate centre managers are also eligible to register
Help and advice
The Information Services Handbook will introduce you to our key services and help you get the most from Cardiff University Information Services.
Once you have registered and logged on to the network, you should then change your password to something more meaningful. Please read our advice on choosing a password.
Please remember that once you have registered you are bound by University IT Regulations.
These are supplemented by:
You can connect to the University network in a number of ways:
- From University Residences
- Via the Cardiff University Wireless Network
- To the GRID
- Using the All Wales Citrix Service (Students on placement)
Requests or enquiries for new network outlets or network outlet moves
If you require a new outlet or if you wish to enquire about costs of new outlets, please contact insrvConnect, the IT Service Desk, on 029 2087 4487 or email insrvConnect@cardiff.ac.uk to document the work required.
Please include the following details:
- Contact name and number of person requesting outlet
- The building name
- Room number for the outlet in question
- Reason for new outlet
- The outlet number if the request is for an outlet move
- The date the outlet is required for (if known).
All details will be logged as a Service Desk Call. The Call will then be passed to the INSRV Network team. The Service Desk Call number must be used in all correspondence.
The INSRV Network team will then contact you either requesting further information or to give the estimated cost of the work. A visit by a network technician may be required before costs can be estimated. You will be notified of any caveats known to the work being carried out at this stage.
Once the estimated cost has been sent, you are advised to raise an Internal Trade Order to "INSRV-INSTALLATIONS". Work cannot commence until the order is received unless under special circumstances.
Once INSRV receives the order, it should be treated as confirmed.
The work will be completed as quickly as possible and usually completed within three weeks.
Lead times can be subject to access to the area by installers, Asbestos, Health and Safety risk assessments, LAN room capacity, Network switch capacity, Network switch purchasing lead times and the amount of outlet installs INSRV is undertaking at the time of order.
In some cases the cabling work and the new outlet will be in place for a period of time before the outlet is made live.
If you (the customer) require an update or an estimated date of completion, please contact the IT Service Desk quoting the call reference number.
Moving or installing new outlet installs can be problematic due to the Health and Safety requirements. In some cases the work will not be able to be carried out after the order was accepted. You will be advised to cancel the order if this is the case.
The call must be updated if any updates or changes to an order are required, especially if there is any additional work, which must be supported by a separate order.