International Visiting Postgraduate Researcher Programme, with supervision
This is a three-term study programme for students who are currently registered for an MPhil or PhD at universities outside the UK.
Applicants for this programme should normally have completed one or two years' doctoral study. The programme, however, may also be suitable for students who wish to prepare themselves for PhD study. Contact us with your proposal.
During their period at Cardiff, researchers will have access to the full range of teaching in the School in their field. (The possibility of attending seminars depends on the availability of space and will need to be agreed with the seminar leader. Candidates should let the School know in advance what classes they are interested in attending. Consult the respective section page for access to lists of available seminars and modules.) If English is not your native language, a period in the School will also provide an opportunity to improve your familiarity with spoken English and aspects of contemporary British culture.
The programme includes:
- auditing specialised seminars and lectures relating to the student's period or research area;
- attendance at postgraduate seminars in research methods, and access to all Library facilities;
- attendance at regular specialist Research Seminars in your own field;
- attendance at Research Seminars held in the other areas of specialism offered within the School;
- the opportunity to present a research paper at a seminar;
- use of University Library services, including borrowing rights;
- access to the University network and open-access work stations;
- assistance with IT needs;
In addition to the above, for students already engaged on doctoral research, the School will provide supervision for two terms by a member of staff in the research field, conducted in consultation with the home supervisor. Supervision will include advice on how to get help with written English if necessary. Visiting Scholars are also expressly encouraged to join in the intellectual life of the School and to take up opportunities for less formal interchange with staff and research students.
All proposed visits are subject to the written approval of the Head of School, for a list of the documents that should accompany your application and the criteria for selection consult the Visitors Guidance document. Please feel free to contact us for any further details you may require.
Visiting Postgraduate Researcher Programme (with supervision)
Pro rata full-time home/EU and overseas fees.
*The possibility of attending seminars depends on the availability of space and will need to be agreed with the seminar leader. Candidates should let the School know in advance what classes they are interested in attending. Consult the respective section page for access to lists of available seminars and modules.