First Years meet Charlie … Gather behind him and follow his lead.
You may only be in your first year but every moment counts. If you want to make the most of your time at University and enhance prospects beyond University we recommend you follow @CharlieCareerz and join his facebook group for the latest hints, tips, information, links from Careers & Employability.
To get you started, here’s Charlie’s tips on making the most of your first year:
- Join Societies and Clubs - develop the skills employers are looking for:communication, time management, organisation, teamwork and leadership.
- Get a Part-time Job – Students’ Union Jobshop has part-time & summer work. Develop those all important skills and gain relevant experience on your CV.
- Get some Work Experience – try a career by applying for short-term work experience. This will also demonstrate motivation, drive and commitment.
- Do some Voluntary Work – an excellent opportunity to develop essential skills and enhance your CV.
- Use the Careers & Employability Centre – at 50 Park Place, for a wealth of information on how to get started, different occupations and employers and more.
- Use Career Central section for first years - login with your University username and password.
- Attend Careers Events – these are extremely useful in helping you explore your options and deciding who you may like to work for, by speaking face-to-face with recruitment and graduate training staff.
- Check out the Cardiff Award for First Years students and how you can make yourself more employable by taking part in the Award.
- Interact with us online – Join Charlie’s facebook group, follow Charlie on twitter and keep up to date with all the latest news and events by following our blog.
For further help and support call into the Careers & Employability Centre, 50 Park Place, or take a closer look at our website.
If you can offer any Careers and Employability related tips or insights, from your experience, that would help your fellow first years, please share them with @charliecareerz
Don’t forget to drop in at the Work Experience & Volunteering Fair, Thurs 27 Feb.