First Year Student – Megan
Read Megan’s advice on making the most of your first year and find out what the Careers & Employability Centre can offer you.
Look at Career Central!
Career Central is an online careers resource, jam-packed with information, advice and guidance to help you with all your career related decisions and activities throughout University. It houses all our Careers & Employability resources from CV booklets to our subject specific Getting Started leaflets. Login with your Cardiff username and password to access the stacks of information designed to help you in your post degree planning!There is also a section specifically for first years which you will find useful to help you settle in at University.
Read our Career Consultant Karen’s top tips to ensure you make the most of your first year:
- Join Societies and Clubs - to develop the skills that employers are looking for: communication, time management, organisation, teamwork and leadership.
- Get a Part-time Job – The Students’ Union Jobshop has details of part-time and summer work. Develop those all important skills that employers are looking for and examples of relevant experience on your CV.
- Get some Work Experience – Try out a particular career by applying for some short-term work experience. This will also enable you to demonstrate your motivation, drive and commitment.
- Do some Voluntary Work – This is an excellent opportunity to develop essential skills and looks great on your CV.
- Use the Careers & Employability Centre – It’s never too early to start getting an idea of the careers that may suit you. Careers & Employability at 50 Park Place has a wealth of information on how to get started, different occupations and employers including a number of booklets for you to take-away.
- Attend Careers Events – Careers & Employability organises employer presentations, fairs and other activities. These events are extremely useful in helping you explore your options and in deciding who you may like to work for, by speaking face-to-face with recruitment and graduate training staff.
- Interact with us online – Like our facebook page, follow us on twitter and keep up to date with all the latest news and events from our teams by following our family of blogs.
For further help and support please call into the Careers & Employability Centre, 50 Park Place, or take a closer look at our website and the full range of services, support and events available to you.
Thinking of leaving or changing your course?Make an appointment to see a Career Consultant