The World in 1883
The University’s Royal Charter is issued by Queen Victoria.
Liberal reformer William Gladstone is Prime Minister.
Here in Wales –
- Cardiff is a relatively small town with an important dock exporting South Wales’ coal to the world.
- Cardiff Castle’s clock-tower is newly finished, but the famous animal wall is yet to be created.
- The National Eisteddfod visits Cardiff for the first time.
Elsewhere in the world –
- The Orient Express begins its first services, crossing Europe from Paris to Istanbul.
Krakatoa erupts, killing 40,000 people. Clouds of ash and gas plunge the world into an early ‘winter’.
- The world mourns the deaths in this year of composer Wagner, painter Manet and philosopher Karl Marx.